About Me

My photo
Grumpy, yet verbose.

Monday, August 13, 2018

Spell Caster House Rules

I had posted this idea a while back in the BX G+ community, but thought I would add it to the blog as that's where I have similar ideas for house rules. The idea is to make the acquiring of spells a bigger part of adventuring as well as giving spell casters a little more magical power by allowing for scroll creation.

  • All magic-users and elves have a grimoire. This can be a your classic spell book, a long scroll, a tattooed pelt, scrimshawed bones, or any other means of recording written spells. Casting Detect Magic will distinguish a grimoire from a normal book or object.
  • 1st level MU/Elves start with the following spells: Detect Magic, Read Magic, a 1st level spell of their choice, and one random 2nd level spell (a gift from their teacher for when the character is advanced enough to use it.)
  • Clerics must choose a designated time of day (or night) in which they pray for their spells. Magic-users and Elves can only replenish a spent spell slot once per day and after a full night's worth of rest (8 hours+). If their rest is interrupted by anything more strenuous than taking a turn at keeping watch, the rest time resets. Unused spells are retained until cast or "traded out" for different ones.
  • As the caster goes up in level, spell slots are gained but new spells are not learned automatically. They must be found to add to one's grimoire. Spells can be gained by three methods: spell research (X51), scrolls, another casters’ grimoire
  • Copying spells (from another grimoire or scroll) to one’s own grimoire requires use of the Read Magic spell. Once the caster can read the new spell, he must spend the time and purchase special materials to add it to his personal grimoire. The original of the spell is consumed in the process. (This is why wizards typically don’t let other wizards copy directly from their grimoires!) It takes one full day’s work and 100 gp per level of the spell to transcribe it. This requires the caster’s full attention for the duration of the process.
  • A magic-user or elf may create a magical scroll from a spell in his grimoire without destroying the original copy. (This is how spells are typically shared.) It takes one day and 500 gp per spell level to create a scroll. The scroll can be used to cast the spell or copy it, but it is consumed in either case. 
  • A cleric may create spell scrolls for the same costs in time and money as magic-users or elves, but must prepare -but not cast- the spell for each day he is scribing the scroll.
  • If a caster is desperate, he can cast an unprepared spell directly out his grimoire like a scroll, but the copy of the spell is destroyed in the process. 




3 comments:

  1. Let me first start by saying that I have enjoyed reading your blog. I started at the earliest post (Jan 18, 2012) and have read through most of your posts to this point. I've enjoyed them and will be putting your blog on my update program so I can see when new posts arrive. (Since all, if not most, browsers do not support RSS and Atom feeds anymore, I use a plugin that scans the sites I want to keep up with.)

    So, what got me to break my silence? Sometime back, I was trying to figure out how much it would cost a spellcaster to make a scroll. I went through the Moldvay/Cook texts, the BECMI texts, the Rules Cyclopedia, and searched the web and couldn't find anything. I was a bit disappointed until I ran across a blog post on the 9 and 30 Kingdoms blog. The author makes note that the Holmes Basic book allow MUs to create a scroll for 100 GP & 1 week per level. I run off and find a copy of the rules and find it right away (not sure why I didn't look there as well). So, a few things I wish to ask of you, if I may...

    1) What did you use as your inspiration for the 500GP house rule? (If you can remember, it was a bit ago and, if you are like me with all of the different things competing for space in your head, may not be important enough to remember.)

    2) Did you make the two different costs (bullet point 5 & 6 - 100 vs. 500 GP) to reflect the nature of the copy process?

    There was something else that I was thinking of asking but my attention was diverted for several minutes and the thought decided to go hang out in another part of my head for a while. Look forward to hearing your response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reply!

      I chose 500gp for scrolls because A) I wanted to incorporate a mechanic for spell-casters to add to their spellbooks (In BX as-written, the spells per day = spells known), and B) I wanted making a scroll to be a more difficult (read "expensive") process because you are basically making a magic item, which is a big deal (IMO).

      Delete
    2. That was the general feeling that I was getting from the larger sum. I actually wanted to make my casters a little more helpful at low levels. By using the 100 GP/level, a caster could make several scrolls that goes out with him to make him more powerful. By that extension, he could do the same thing at higher levels as well but there would start to come a point where the cost/time investment would not be favorable due to the likelihood that the treasure haul could be low.

      Glad to share thoughts with you.

      Delete