About Me

My photo
Grumpy, yet verbose.

Saturday, February 26, 2022

I'm a Travelling Man

 It's 2022! How did THAT happen?!

Greetings to anyone who still checks this site. I am still kicking and gaming. I hope everyone has kept safe and sane during all the craziness. I haven't posted much as late because my group and I haven't been playing much D&D. I've been running the group in a new (to me) system for the last 8-9 months.

 

Science fiction gaming is a genre we haven't done much with over the years, so it's an interesting departure. We tried playing classic Traveller back in the day with the little booklets, but beyond the character generation rules (which are a lot of fun), we never really seemed to get a proper game off the ground. Currently, I am running the group through one of Mongoose's published campaigns, The Pirates of Drinax. We've been using online tools like Roll20 to meet and play.

Last year, finding myself with little face to face gaming and a lot of time on my hands (for some reason), I set about picking up some new games and trying to learn them. Of course, true to my grognard roots, I ended up with the latest editions of three games that had been around for decades: Runequest, Call of Cthulhu, and Traveller. 


 

Thus far, I haven't sprung CoC or RQ on the group, though I have run a demo adventure over Discord for some folks on a one-shot server, and I've played a few games of 7th edition CoC. It's been great fun. 

I will also actually be making the trek again to Lake Geneva next month for Garycon. Hopefully, there won't be any "public health issues" to screw that up. I am not a good traveler (See? One 'L', so you can tell I'm not referring to the game. ;-P ). I mislike flying and I am not a fan of being away from my home and family for any length of time, but I generally have a good time at GC. Perhaps I will see some of you there. If anyone is still reading this, that is.




2 comments:

  1. Welcome back. I find that I enjoy your blog because it tickles my BX itch so well. Glad to hear you're still around, and if you find the time, I'd be interested in your Mongoose Traveller takes.

    Also a write-up of Garycon too please.

    ReplyDelete